Monday, July 15, 2013

{summer reading} first grade books

Following up to my previous post covering our summer reading book list, here's a glimpse at our first grade summer reading book choices. While these are excellent read aloud books, during the first / second grade,
 I attempt to have my child read them. Absolutely no stress if they don't; there's plenty of alternate choices.


Katy and the Big Snow, Caps for Sale, How to Make Apple Pie and see the World, Ferdinand,
The House that Jack Built, Blueberries for Sal, Corduroy

Throughout the first grade year, we cover all three "I Can Read It" books shown below.
The remaining books are our target goal to complete during the year; if we don't get them all covered,
I'll usually incorporate them into summer reading.
{Keep in mind, up to this point, all my readers have been boys. smile!}


Henry and Mudge series, Big Ball of String, Danny and the Dinosaur, The Fire Cat, Itchy Itchy Chicken Pox,
I Have a Cold, Little Bear, Frog and Toad All Year, The Best Trick,
Put Me in the Zoo, Go Dog Go, Green Eggs and Ham, A Fly Went By, Ted and Friends, Goodnight Gorilla


I've listed an alternate book list below that I feel is a bit more challenging. 
I personally have children reading on both ends of the spectrum, so choose where your reader is comfortable


Volcanoes! The Big Balloon Race, The Monitor, Babe Ruth, Young Orville and Wilbur Wright, Mouse Tales,
Harry and the Lady Next Door, To the Top, Barry the Bravest Saint Bernard, Amelia Earhart,
Red White and Blue, The Titanic, Always Inventing, True Stories about Abraham Lincoln

You can read my previous {Kindergarten summer reading post} as well as my follow up {second and third grade summer reading post}. Happy reading!

No comments: