Monday, September 24, 2018

Motherhood + self care




Lest anyone here think that I’ve got it altogether, here’s a secret that you most likely don’t know about me;

self care isn’t easy for me to prioritize!!

For almost 18 years I’ve bought into this exaggerated belief system
“that our children & our spouse matter more than we do ..
that truly loving them is putting their needs above our own ..”

But mama’s choosing to take care our ourselves is important!!

Over the next week I want to talk about my personal experience with practicing self care but please, I beg you, when you hear me talking about why I believe it’s important to take care of ourselves, remember that I’m currently learning to implement this in my own life! 
 
As a Christian, my faith and relationship with the Father fuel every part of my life,
mentally + emotionally + physically  
I believe that you and I are created to breathe life into the people around us, 
Our kids . Our spouse . Our home . Our co-workers . Our world .
But we can’t do that if we don’t prioritize nourishing our souls. 


Life is constantly full of out of unforeseen, uncontrollable circumstances, like an infant who keeps you up literally almost all.night.long or hormonal, preadolescent kids who literally equate one of their brothers taking their pen as a violation of their human rights; I mean they’re literally throwing punches! And I’m not talking about some engraved expensive pen, I’m talking about  a cheap @** I come in a twelve pack from Dollar Tree pen!!


While these may seem like insignificant examples, when I don’t prioritize nurturing my soul, I find myself reacting, and often overreacting, to circumstances rather than remembering 

// Who’s // already got my circumstances.

I want to share my story not because I have the answers, quite the opposite!  I often get caught up in life’s circumstances. I forget perspective. I need encouragement.

I'm sharing because preaching to my own heart reminds me of the truth.
          ____________________________________________


Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go apologize to my kids for yelling over how stupid it is to fight over a pen!
 

Follow along over at beauty and grace {everyday} on facebook for more posts like this. 

No comments: